Skip To Content


Temp On-Premises Licenses (Special or Recurring Events)

This information is applicable ONLY to an event held on City-owned property (streets, parks, etc.) OR a recurring event held at a location licensed previously. 

Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for processing of a new beer, wine or liquor license application from the time it is submitted until the license certificate is issued by the State.

Application and Approval Process
    1. To submit your license application on-line, go to the State of Iowa’s Website . The Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division (Iowa ABD) “Electronic Licensing User Guide” is available on the Website. Be sure to follow the instructions for submitting a NEW application. The number for Iowa ABD is (866) 469-2223 (Option 1 to speak to a Licensing Specialist if you have questions).

      1. Please carefully read the questions from the Criminal History screen and provide answers as requested. Failure to disclose all incidents can result in denial of your application.

      2. If you have listed any criminal history on your application, provide a copy of the disposition of court and any related documentation.

    2. Please provide all of the following documents to Davenport City Hall/Revenue Division – 226 W 4th Street, Davenport IA 52801 to begin the approval process.

      1. Notarized Signature Form printed from your on-line application;

      2. Sketch of premises, including outdoor service area, if applicable. The premises (sales or serving area) is identified as the location from which alcoholic beverages are sold and/or served. If serving from a tapper truck, it must be privately owned and not owned by a beer or other alcohol distributor. You must request outdoor area privilege if you will allow consumption of alcoholic beverages outside or surrounding the premises.Please provide all of the following documents to Davenport City Hall/Revenue Division – 226 W 4th Street, Davenport IA 52801 to begin the approval process.

      3. Please provide a simple, clearly marked sketch on 8½ by 11 white paper; the drawing does not need to be to scale. Mark locations of the items listed on the “Premises Information” screen of the on-line application, as well as the boundaries of the outdoor area in relation to the premises.

      4. A temporary outdoor area must be adjacent to the premises (sales or serving area). The outdoor area cannot be separated from the premises by parking or other space. Boundaries of an outdoor area must be easily identifiable using visible above-ground structure (such as snow fencing or barricades)

      5. Confidential" Addendum to Application and financial information. This form requests background information and proof of financial responsibility (see Item 5 on the Confidential form).     Information on this form will be part of the review process performed by the Police Department only. It will not be provided to any other department nor to the State, and it will not be kept in the liquor license file.

    3. The application information will be routed for review to the Zoning, Fire, Police and Building Departments.

    4. When all department approvals have been received by the Revenue Division, your application will be placed on the Committee of the Whole agenda for City Council approval before processing by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.

    5. The following items are not required at the same time you submit your license application. However, they are required before your license can be processed by the State.

      1. Agreement for Use of the Premises, such as a Special Event application filed with the Deputy City Clerk, a letter from the property owner permitting temporary use of the property, or other appropriate documentation as applicable.

      2. Dram Shop Liability Insurance Certificate. The effective dates must run concurrently with the effective dates of the license. After the dates have been determined, the insurance company must verify coverage on-line in order for the City to approve your application for processing by the State. It is not necessary to provide a copy of the dram shop liability certificate to the City.

      3. License or permit and fees. These fees are not transferred from the bank account identified on the signature page of your on-line application until the City approves your license application.

    6. When all of the above steps are completed, the City will endorse your license application for processing by the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division.

      1. Note: If the license effective date is within 10 days of City endorsement, you must deliver a cashier’s check (to City Hall) made payable to Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division, in the amount of the license fees.

    7. Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division will email your new license to the email address provided on your application. Please print and post the license at the licensed premise.

Click Here for Other License and Permit information and additional resources

Special Events Application