Skip To Content


Find Out if a Property is in a Flood Hazard Area

How Do I Find Out if a Property is in a Special Flood Hazard Area?

Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM), produced by the Flood Insurance Administration (FIA), are used to determine whether a property is located within a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) also known as the 100-year, or regulated flood plain.

Properties located in a SFHA may be required to have flood insurance.  An approved floodplain development permit application may also be required to perform any type work on a property located in a SFHA.

You can find out if a property is in a SFHA in one of the following ways:

  • Visit the FEMA Flood Map Service Center.  The site allows you to search on an address and view flood hazard area determinations as well as map amendments.
  • Request for Information – This link will allow you to submit a request for information about a property’s potential flood hazards.
  • Questions? Call Community Planning and Economic Development at 563.326.7765.